Thursday, July 20, 2006

Just enjoy the publicity, Barry.

I'm going to reprint the entire item from today's "Page Six" of the New York Post.
SONGS THAT REPEL
BARRY Manilow doesn't mind if you make fun of his wimpy love songs, but using them to repel juvenile delinquents goes too far. The sappy singer-songwriter hit the roof when he learned officials in Rockdale, Australia, are blasting his greatest hits on loudspeakers every night to stop heavy-metal-loving hooligans from drag-racing on local roads. While it's working like a charm, a peeved Manilow said, "If you played anyone's music for that long, you'd drive any rationally minded human out of their mind. But have they thought that these hoodlums might like my music? What if some of them began to sing along with 'Can't Smile Without You?' . . . What if this actually attracts more hoodlums - puts smiles on their faces?" Deputy Mayor Bill Saravinovski is unrepentant. "Barry's our secret weapon," he crowed.

Give the police in Rockdale credit. They figured out how to stop drag racing, which is far worse than listening to Barry Manilow. As one of Murphy's Laws of combat put it, "If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

So enjoy the free publicity, Barry. Heck, I've even listened to your music from time to time...

EDIT: Here is a story from the Miami Herald.

4 comments:

Ken Prescott said...

If I lived in Rockdale, and had to choose between street racers and Barry Manilow disturbing my peaceful enjoyment of my property, I'd probably go postal. :o)

Harold said...

Don't get me wrong, Ken, but Barry Manilow is OK at times.

Other times, Ice-T, Body Count, Geto Boys, and NWA are good music to listen to as well. I like all types of music. Particularly those that sometimes drive my dear mother up the wall.

Ken Prescott said...

Particularly those that sometimes drive my dear mother up the wall.

Isn't that the whole idea? :o)

Harold said...

Yup...

I might even have to burn my nephews a CD or two...

:o)