Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Unintended consequences...

Remember how certain conservatives were trying to push "indecency" off the airwaves? Well, folks, there were others who were worried about what else might come - that we were just seeing the camel's nose under the tent.

Dennis Kucinich is now showing us the rest of the camel, along with Michael Copps, the favorite FCC commissioner of many social conservatives.

Yeah, you may have chased Howard Stern to satellite radio. But all because a few conservatives could not just leave it at using their friggin' remotes, we now have a serious risk to alternative media outlets that have served to somewhat correct the MSM's biases.

And now, we have to bail them out of this mess they caused - becuase if Kucinich gets the "Fairness Doctrine" passed, we're back to the days when the MSM was all a person had.

2 comments:

Ken Prescott said...

On the one hand, I'm perfectly happy to let the likes of Laura Ingraham (who spent her show whining like a stuck pig about this topic) deal with the consequences of their decision in 2006 to attack the President and split the GOP, solely for the greater glory of their ratings, speaking honoraria, and so on.

On the other hand, I can't afford to do that.

So I will make common cause with those who despise me, as I am more mature than they are. I will fight as vigorously as I can against the Fairness Doctrine.

But I will never again make the mistake of viewing them as friends.

SallyVee said...

My first reaction was pretty much Ken's -- hard to have much sympathy for the pitchforking loudmouths who helped bring this scourge down on their own heads, as well as mine.

I doubt I'll be doing much fighting against the Fairness Doctrine. The people/groups who surely will be leading the troops have completely lost my respect. I'd go so far as to wonder if they don't deserve this, royally.

I've all but stopped listening to talk radio. There is virtually no TV news worth watching, and the elite right wing blogosphere is infested with lunatics. So for me personally, there is very little downside to enactment of such a doctrine.